Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Biggest Loser: A Competition for the Ages


So this year's "Biggest Loser" is not about couples - it's about ages. This could get interesting - this show already makes me cry and now there are a bunch of senior citizens competing! I am such a sucker for seniors. How cute. 


Premiere night opened with the contestants in a desert, and the introduction of the two new trainers - Anna Kournikova and celebrity trainer Dolvett Quince. No more Jillian Michaels (although I just started watching last year, so I wasn't all that attached in the first place).

Tear jerker moment #1 was when the contestants did a mile run/walk to choose their trainers. The seniors were way behind after the other two teams had already crossed the finish line and chosen - and the trainer they were left with, Anna, ran out to meet them.... and then everyone else followed suit. I think she's going to be really sweet - I just hope she doesn't get taken advantage of. (BTW, right after typing this, not even an hour in, the seniors had already started trying to get sympathy from her, and she wasn't having it - you go, girl!)


As always, Bob was awesome. I have a feeling he might get a little mean this season though - kind of like Randy after Simon left American Idol. I'm not sure what I think about Dolvett yet, except that he's going to be hardcore. ("Why are you holding onto my treadmill?!?")
It's still too early in the game to keep tabs on all the contestants and their names - especially as a casual viewer, but I do have a few thoughts about the ones who stood out: I see Anton as this year's Rulon - but I hope to like him a whole lot more - and I think that I will. 


My heart absolutely broke (tear jerker moment #2) when a contestant named Becky got a call about the death of her father from congestive heart failure. Knowing the struggles these people are already facing, and then this? I almost expected her to break down and drown her emotions in food (like I probably would - but instead, she did the show proud hit the gym. Good woman.  


I have a feeling my favorite contestant though is going to be Ramon. He seems like a cool guy, and he really struck me as genuine talking about how he wants a girlfriend and to go on dates. No one deserves to be that unhappy with themselves, so I hope he does well. 


Last chance workout was kind of hilarious, (Bob just loves it, and it seems kind of evil), and then it was time for final weigh-ins:  
  • Johnny, who almost walked out the first day, lost 17 pounds!
  • Bonnie, one of the seniors, only lost 4 pounds. Not a good showing the first week.  
  • Mike, another senior, lost 12. Good showing, but nothing special.
  • Debbie, of the senior team, lost 6. Maybe Anna needs to step it up. 
  • Becky, who spent part of the week at home at her dad's funeral, lost... oh wait, a commercial break! .........Ok we're back! She lost 10 pounds, and I was so happy for her!
  • Joe, a 40-something, lost 22 pounds!! Holy crap! In one week, he trashed his blood pressure medication. What a start!
  • Anton (started at 447 lbs.) put up an ENORMOUS 32 pounds!! Bob got just what he wanted for Christmas. 
  • Sunny, who I didn't see at all until the weigh in, lost 16. Bob, apparently, was the proper choice. 
  • John (445 lbs.) lost 37 pounds (37 pounds!!!!) 
  • Jennifer lost 19!!!!!!! 
  • Vinny, the first of Dolvett's team, lost 21 pounds :) Apparently Toby Keith (on Twitter) was saying to watch out for this dude. Maybe he knows him?
  • 17 pounds for Ramon. After Bob's team's showing, I could see why they weren't happy with their numbers, but are they crazy?! They did great!!
  • Jessica lost 15. 
  • Patrick, who showed a complete lack of self confidence (I felt so sorry for this guy), even got kicked out of the gym at one point this week, but he ended up losing 20 :) I really like this guy! Maybe now he can gain some confidence. 
  • Courtney dropped 16 lbs. 
Unfortunately, someone had to go home. Johnny was safe as the biggest loser on the senior team, but the sun set early for Debbie. 


I thought, "GOOD RIDDANCE!!"


I wanted to smack that woman for saying Bonnie was annoying, and I don't even know Bonnie! That was just rude. Since Debbie only lost 2 more pounds than Bonnie, she pretty much sealed her fate by opening her big trap. No one needs that negativity, especially on this show. 


It is worth noting that there were some pretty hilarious tweets being posted tonight. Gotta love the #fattweet #fatshow and #fatfatfat hashtags...

No comments: