Tuesday, September 20, 2011

HIMYM and 2 Broke Girls: Good Start to Premiere Week/Month(s)

So I didn't liveblog last night - that much is obvious. But I'm here to tell you that last night was a really good start to my personal premiere season, and I'm super excited for the rest of the week!

"How I Met Your Mother" saw the return of BEERCULES! Of course, I didn't remember Beercules in the first place, but that doesn't make him any less awesome. 

Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD!
...
...
...
...

We found out that Barney DOES eventually get married, that Robin still loves him, that Marshall is going to start his dream job soon, that he and Lily are becoming parents and that Victoria is back!! But I'll get to that. 

First, I love when TV shows give nods to pop culture - I thought the whole "autotune Ted's wedding toast" idea was genius, and the YouTube theme of the night, which included Marshall's streaking escapades as "Beercules," was equally entertaining.

Moving onto relationships, I loved finding out that Robin still has feelings for Barney, but it broke my heart when the whole Nora dilemma came into play. Of course, it wouldn't be a television show if everyone fell in love easily and lasted forever. I admire Barney's efforts, and his attempts to change, but it kills me that they're clearly aimed in the wrong direction. 

Finally, I really truly thought Victoria might the mother once upon a time, and now I have a glimmer of hope that it's still possible. I can't say much more about that... I just can't wait to see where all this goes this season.  

Anyway, moving on - 

I always wonder when a new show starts if it's going to be able to keep my attention. There's always a chance, of course, that it keeps my attention but not America's and it gets canceled before its time, but that's none of my concern just yet. 

"2 Broke Girls" came out swinging last night. My first reaction was shock at the vulgarity of some of the jokes, but I really settled into it quickly, and it definitely kept my attention. 

The main characters are witty - but not annoying witty like the "Gilmore Girls" were - and are, for the most part quite likeable. "Max" is played by Kat Dennings, whom I remember fondly from "40-Year-Old Virgin."

I can't say much else because I have a terrible memory and should have done this last night - except that I'm intrigued by the concept of a running "cash total" at the end of the episode. 

No comments: