Wednesday, April 9, 2008

We got a kitty

and named her Sadie. We call her that because we decided to name all our animals after Beatles songs.

She's a little more than one year old, and she used to live with Kevin, Abby and little Brianne under the alias "Scuttles." Here is a picture of her when she was living with them as a kitten.


She's still very small, but obviously bigger than that. Apparently she got stepped on when she was very young. She kind of has a lazy eye.

She's very friendly now that she's come out of her hiding hole (which she still sleeps in when no one is home), but she gets crazy at night. She's torn the hell up outta my sheer green curtains. I bought some new ones for cheap but refuse to put them up until the problem is fixed.

My dad and I bought some spray that's supposed to deter her from tearing up stuff we spray on it. It's supposed to be used in training them. We also bought a squirt bottle for that purpose. A little catnip, we hoped, would attract her to her scratching pole toy instead of my curtains. David hears the bell at night so at least we know that works.

Last night was the first night we tried these measures. I used the kitchen curtains for reference. She hasn't torn many holes in those, only the ones in the living room. Apparently, the spray works but is not fool proof and does not last forever.

Our next measure will be to clip her nails, but the sad fact is that they grow back. After that, we want to try soft paws, those little plastic covers for their nails. The problem with that is that she scratches at the stone in the fireplace and would likely wear those out.

The sad fact of the matter is that we'll likely have to get her declawed. I feel bad for several reasons (a- it's pretty cruel sounding and b- it costs a lot of money, some of which I have to make David help pay) but I think that these other options are only temporary and I won't feel safe putting the new ones up unless I know without a doubt that she can't climb up them anymore.

Don't let my complaining fool you. I love her. She's rambunctious and thinks she can sit on anyone and everyone. She's learning that she can't come in the bedroom because we have allergies and need a place to get away from her if we have to (like for sleeping). Come visit so you can meet her!

No comments: