Wednesday, May 28, 2008

'American Idol' should have been Archuleta

This post a little belated, but I felt strongly enough to Google this information, so I feel strongly enough to share it with you: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1587939/20080522/id_0.jhtml


Points I agree with 100%:

1. He was the New England Patriots. Everyone knew David A. sang the best and should have had the competition in the bag a long time ago. But people don't like that, so many started hating him and rooting for the other guy out of spite. (Side note: Who actually liked the Giants? Anyone? No.) In both cases: Jealous much?

2. He was goofy. This is true. He was awkward as all hell on stage, but he's a freaking kid people, give him a break. It doesn't mean he wasn't an AMAZING singer. Which he was. And is. That doesn't change because he finished second.

3. He was Al Gore. I didn't vote for him. Why? Not because I voted for Cook instead (which I didn't) -- but because I didn't think I needed to. After all, according to Simon, finale night was a KNOCKOUT and David A. was coming out on top for all I knew. How many people thought the same and didn't bother voting? (Side note: "The World I Know" was great, but the other two performances were sub-par. David A., on the other hand, was flawless.)

4. He could have tried a wider variety of songs. Which is something I really liked about David Cook and disliked about David A. On the other hand, he was so damn good at ballads I wanted to hear another every week. Well, you can't win them all.

My own opinion:

People didn't want a predictable outcome. That would have made Idol boring, so they voted for the other guy. David Cook was definitely not the worst, but the "vote for the worst" idea works here too. You don't want the best to win, so you vote for the other guy. (And no one hated Cook from what I could tell, there was no reason to, but I KNOW people hated Archuleta, though I think it was for stupid reasons.)

I love David Cook, even though David A. was my favorite. Don't get me wrong. I will probably buy both of their albums when they come out, because I am a big dork. But, for the record, David A is the better singer. I apologize for sounding like a crazed 13-year-old.

No comments: