Thursday, May 21, 2009

"Idol" backlash strikes

OK people. I thought I had posted my last Idol blog for awhile but it seems never ending. I just read a bunch of stories and blogs and commented on the Huffington Post Web site that called Kris Allen "mediocre." I can't help but repeat myself.

I will be the first to admit that I voted for Kris (about a 100 times). But unlike what every news article or opinion I've read today says - it wasn't because Adam's sexuality is questionable (come on people, that shouldn't matter in any situation, let alone a singing competition) or because I like to reward mediocrity.

I don't really think people should compare apples and oranges.

Adam is a GREAT performer. (Which I've been kind of scared to admit until today, knowing that if he won I would be totally bitter and I didn't want to jinx it - but there it is.) His performance with Queen last night blew me away. He's got vocal range that Kris doesn't have, and is super exciting as a performer.

Just because Kris isn't
exactly those things doesn't mean he's mediocre. I think he actually has MORE artistic ability than Adam - his renditions overall were more creative than Adam's ("Heartless"? I mean come on. It was better than Kanye). He has a great voice too - it doesn't need as much range because in his genre he would have no need for the high falsetto. He plays a number of musical instruments and is certainly likeable.

As far as looks go, both performers are extremely good looking. In different ways. Apples and oranges.

It's like comparing John Lennon and Michael Jackson. Just because they're different, will you deny that they're both great? It's a matter of preference - and while Queen and Kiss were super popular decades ago, it's the Jason Mrazes and John Mayers of the world you hear on popular radio these days.

That's why Kris won, and he certainly deserved it.

No comments: