Sunday, August 30, 2009

American Idols Live Tour 2009 hits St. Louis

I took my mom to go see American Idols Live 2009 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis and was not disappointed.

We got there a little late - traffic was bad and parking a nightmare. We missed Michael Sarver, which I didn't think was a big deal, but ended up feeling bad about when I found out my mom actually likes him.

When we found our seats in the upper deck, I was surprised to see that almost no one had bad seats. On top of that, they were super comfortable. Quite a departure from Bonnaroo 2009 ;) (Which I loved, don't get me wrong.)

Megan Joy was first. I'd always liked her voice and been disappointed week after week on the show by her performances, but was presently surprised to see I liked her live.


After Megan Joy was Scott MacIntyre, who turned out to be a veteran performer and quite funny as an added bonus. He made jokes about his blindness and "the high five heard 'round the world," and put everyone in good spirits. I liked his rendition of Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles."



Lil Rounds was next. I didn't really like her set. Then again, I'm no fan of "Queen B" either, so I wasn't happy when she sang "Single Ladies." I did like this one OK tho.



Anoop gave a beautiful rendition of "Always On My Mind" but I enjoyed Ne-Yo's "Mad" better. I could have seen Ne-Yo live with a press pass earlier this year but didn't make it to the show.



Matt Giraud came out with the song I enjoyed most by him, "Hard to Handle." He showed off his vocal range with "Georgia on My Mind," which was nice, but then he sang "You Found Me," which I still agree with the judges from this season doesn't fit his voice very well.



Allison Iraheta's "So What" was disappointing, although I agree it helped her seem young when her voice sounds so much more mature. "Barracuda" was cool, but I can't find decent YouTube video of that so here's the duet with her and Adam Lambert on "Slow Ride."



Danny Gokey was mostly mushy and disappointing, to my dismay. I loved Danny from the beginning and I think he's hot and feel bad that his wife died, but American Idol is not about preaching. Additionally, if he's going to sound this gushy on a CD he's just not for me. However, "PYT" was entertaining and "Maria Maria" was hot.



I knew Adam Lambert was going to be big, but what I didn't know was how sexual he would be on stage. I liked most of his set, aside from Muse's "Starlight." I was most excited to see "Mad World" live, which was great, but this Bowie Medley almost made me wish I were a gay man.



After Lambert, I was nervous for this year's Idol winner Kris Allen, but I shouldn't have been. Because I'm such a fan, here is his entire set (I thought this version of "Heartless" was amazing live in a big venue):





No comments: