Monday, July 23, 2007

The Broken Road

It's sometimes hard to look bad on bad things that have happened and try to think of the good that has come out of them. But when I heard this song on the radio at random one day, I looked on the positive side for once.

When Ben and I were together, it was a good thing. He seemed like a different person then, and I still have great memories from that (which, granted, sometimes I wish I could just forget, like that would be easier). But the way it ended wasn't good, not good at all, and although it's getting better every day, the memories still hurt.

The words to "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts, reminded me that although the ending of that relationship was as unpleasant as unpleasant can be- definitely the worst breakup I've ever had to endure- it was all necessary to end up where I am today, to be the person I am today and to be with the person who I am with today.

The night before he would officially end it with me was a Thursday, and Ben "did not want to "ruin it" for me, though he had already made up his mind and it was obvious to anyone and everyone that something was terribly wrong. Though I didn't know it would be the end, I was upset by the way he was acting toward me, and becasue it seemed like this person that supposedly loved me just a week before couldn't even tell that he had already made my night miserable and may as well get it over with instead of making things worse like he was.

But one person who hardly knew me at the time could tell, and seemed to care more than Ben did. The thing that gave it away was when he saw me crying outside the building as Megan and Bill tried to comfort me and asked if I would be OK. That person was David.

Over time and talking with him more and spending more time with him, it became obvious that David was the better person for me. It seemed impossible (or at least very improbable) that we had spent so much time around one another before and never noticed what was there. It took what I thought was a huge catastrophe to point us in the right direction I guess.

We have more in common and we get along terrificly. If there's a problem, we talk about it instead of trying to deal with it on our own, although we haven't had much of that at all to deal with.

We've been together for a couple of months now, and are getting ready to surpass the amount of time I'd been with Ben. It just feels like I had something this good coming to me after being so wrong about that. I don't know how to explain it, so perhaps the song can do a better job.


Rascal Flatts - "Bless The Broken Road"
I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

No comments: