Tuesday, December 30, 2008

How was my 2008?

So, it's that time of the year again to make resolutions and see which ones I can stick to. But first, let's take a look back at what I said I'd do in 2008 and see how it went:
Ten resolutions for 2008

10. Make time to read a lot of good books this year.

David and I wanted to start a book club between the two of us, or pretty much just make an effort to read the same book and then discuss it. It's a very romantic idea but didn't take off much in 2008.

I started reading the "Twilight" book series, and am 1.5 books from the finish. I also got into the "Dexter" books after having seen an episode of the Showtime series. Individually, I also conquered "The Kite Runner" and "I Am America (And So Can You)."

Goodreads.com has proven to be a great resource for this goal. I didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped, but I definitely put forth an effort.

9. Blog every day. Something, anything, just blog.

I slacked a little on this one, but it's hard when you have a billion blogs to find something to write on them. Though I didn't blog every day, I bet if you look through all of them you'll find I blogged a lot. Better luck in 2009, now that I have my own Web site. ;)

8. Get more violin practice in each week.

Due to money restraints, I have not taken lessons in many months. I haven't even picked up the instrument in awhile - mostly because I was practicing one day and some ppl down at the Muddy Pub were making fun. How discouraging! Also, David accidentally pulled off the chin rest because I was not specific when I told him to remove the shoulder rest. I need to get back into that...

7. Move out of my parents' house.

Check!

6. Volunteer more.

I served as the Jersey County Relay for Life's Fight Back chair person last year, but I thought I'd take it back a notch this time. Christmas went by so fast I didn't get to ring bells for the Salvation Army. I need to do more research and budget my time better in '09.

5. Get along with parents/brother more often.

My brother is still somewhat of an issue because he is quite possibly one of the grumpiest people I've ever met. My parents and I still get into tiffs every so often but they are two of my best friends these days. It really does pay to move out and have your own space. You really appreciate family more.

4. Eat better, excercise regularly -- come up with a plan and stick to it!

For awhile, I went on a big yoga kick and was doing great. Then school started and it threw my schedule off. Later in the year, I started walking with my dad twice a week at the mall, something that fell off around the holidays, but is expected to pick up again in the new year. Living with a boy has caused me to eat more than I usually would so as not to waste (and there's a lot of food for just two people to eat usually). Also, we eat out a lot. We need to get better in 2009.

3. Get better at drawing/sketching and photography.

I have not done a lot of this at all.

2. Keep in regular contact with old friends via phone, e-mail, text, snail mail, whatever.

I get better at this and then I do worse. I am pretty decent with e-mail, but not the phone. I did get some stationery and a quill late in the year, so look out people!

1. Get my clips organized. Figure out how to be happy professionally and start doing it. (Or at least actively working toward it.)

I'll work on it in '09.

No comments: