Thursday, February 12, 2009

We may be closing three days early!

The seller has made the repairs he was supposed to, and the inspector has gone back in and looked around. I assume it passed, because my realtor is talking like everything went through OK.

Paperwork is being processed at the title company right now, and as soon as everything is ready, she is supposed to let me know what time we'll be closing. Last I heard, it was being moved from Feb. 23 to Feb. 20, which would give us an entire additional weekend to work on the house before we have to move in. Yay! Getting so excited!!

Last night I had to do First-time homebuyer's one-on-one counseling with a company called Justine Petersen out of St. Louis. A guy named Colby met me in Edwardsville and gave me the rundown on what I can expect at closing. He also taught me about everything I've done up until now just because my realtor, parents and loan officer have been having me do.

I learned that my credit score is in great shape - 748. It didn't surprise him when I said my parents have good credit because he said he sees lots of children with credit habits similar to their parents. But I think he was surprised it was high. He said only about 5 percent of Americans have credit comparable to that. With the way the economy is and the number of people in debt, that wouldn't surprise me.

He gave me some pointers for keeping it high and even raising it. He told me how to pay off a 30-year mortgage in 15 years without refinancing and a whole lot more. It really takes the edge off the stress, knowing what I'm going into.

Seems like smooth sailing from here.

We're going into the house Sunday and I'm going to take lots of my own "before" pictures. Stay tuned for updates.

No comments: