Wednesday, December 5, 2007

JR's battle with cancer

My former professor (and definitely one of my favorite professors) John Ryan recently wrote an article for the Charleston Times-Courier newspaper about his battle with colon cancer. It's a good read. 

Mostly though, I think it's an important article because colon cancer isn't talked about as much as other cancers, like breast cancer, and awareness of it is just as important. 

I wasn't around when he was missing classes and trying to deal with rough chemotherapy treatments (2006-2007), but I remember hearing about them when I would visit my alma mater -- and it scared me. 

I've known people to have had cancer before, but I never thought once JR would be one of those people. You know, he was that guy who taught us stuff and played along with our Brokeback Mountain-esque jokes about him and Joe and "Theel and Polly," not that guy trying to battle a deadly disease. 

He sent a link out to the article this morning, which I read, and I was happy to discover that he is now cancer free. 

Anyway, I know a lot (or all) of the five people that read this blog (if that) are not 50 yet -- but when you turn it, you need to get a colonoscopy. Don't ever think it couldn't happen to you, because it can. 

And if you're the praying type, pray that "cancer free" stays cancer free. 

No comments: