Monday, December 24, 2007

Working on Christmas Eve

Because I was able to scrape myself out of bed at 8:15 this morning (not quite 7:30 but earlier than the usual 9 a.m.) and because I have sporadically eaten two bluberry Special K bars throughout the day instead of taking a lunch, I can be out of work this holiday by 4:15 p.m. Less than two hours to go.

Would have been better if I didn't have to work at all, but hey -- anything's better than last year. Last year I had to work Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day (whereas I get Christmas Day off this year) and ON TOP OF THAT, I became deathly ill on Christmas Day and missed the next 3 days of work. Then I worked New Year's Eve AND Day (which I get off this year) and spent Beer Fest New Year's on meds, unable to partake in much of the alcohol and debauchery.

I guess there's still time for all that. Speaking of sick, one of the editors spent the whole morning sick as a dog -- coughing and wheezing all over the place, unable to call off work because of the lack of people staffing the newsroom on Christmas Eve. And he sits right behind me, so I shudder to think what might be ahead. Luckily I moved to my OTHER desk (yes, I now have two -- this one with a better computer... still not great, but better) halfway across the room. I feel better already.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that I was already not feeling 100 percent but that the Loratidine and psuedoephedrine (fake 24-hour Claritin D) I took this morning is making me feel quite nice. I chose to stock up this week because when the sickness attacked last year, it was the only thing that really helped. Better to be prepared I always say.

So, David is going to meet the Wittman clan tonight, and I'm a little frightened for him. They are so many in number and many of them look the same. I hope they are at least nice and easy to get along with. Also, I hope my grandma doesn't start talking that crap about not being able to have Christmas at her house this year because Carl, her husband who has been dead for years, is grouchy. I assure you Grandma, he was grouchy and now he definitely is not. (I'm just trying to make light of this sad situation people. Plus, it's really awkward...) Seriously though, I hope she doesn't call me Minette. I heard she called my mom Laura last month. I'm glad at least that she'll be around one more Christmas.

I will be taking along my brand new Sony Cybershot, which my lovely boyfriend purchased for me this Christmas. Maybe I'll have some new photos to post. Or maybe not. We'll see.

Tomorrow after church and lunch with the fam (David gets a get out of jail free card this time), I will meet David at his parents' house. This should be far less frightening because his family is small, his parents are nice and his grandma already likes me apparently, but the fact that I've only seen his brothers one time because they seem to hide when I'm around might pose a problem. I'll just have to think of them like James. That seems like something he would do, but then again James is fairly outgoing and friendly around strangers -- he just acts quiet and wierd around my parents.

Anyway, that was a little insight into my holiday. Tomorrow we will open presents and for the next week I'll scramble to get some work done so I can party on New Year's. The question of where this partying will go down remains, since Emily will be in Chicago and thus unable to have her usual themed party. I'm guessing that David will have people at his apartment, or it's back to Norb's. Oh what a way to ring in 2008.

Happy holidays everyone!!

No comments: