Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Stiff" -- I've finally finished it.

Mary Roach's "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" was all I hoped it would be and more. Even if it did take me forever to read it. (I read slowly, OK?)



When I saw the book at Barnes and Noble early in the year I remembered it being mentioned on an episode of "Six Feet Under," a TV show that I enjoyed for mostly the same reasons I liked the book. I'm morbidly curious. 

I was pleased to see that "Body Worlds," which is currently on display over at the St. Louis Science Center, was mentioned in the last chapter. It kind of excited me for some reason. 

My favorite chapter was the one about body farms, and how they leave bodies out wearing various amounts of clothing in different conditions to measure how fast or slowly the body composes. Roach's descriptions were so vivid that I could almost smell the putrification. 

In any event, the book is wildly interesting, although a little gross at times (if you get queasy, that is). But I recommend that everyone pick it up and at least give it a chance. 

Off to "Wicked" and "I Am America (And So Can You)" before I borrow David's "Haunted" by Chuck Palahuinuk (or whatever), and then "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" (curiously, another TV show featuring Michael C. Hall that can be seen on Showtime) from the library. 

No comments: