Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Cards v. Cubs weekend

Brian came this weekend. 
It was reminiscent of the last time we saw each other about three weekends in a row, which, obviously, is a good thing. Sadly, we won't make it to three this time. Better luck next time I guess. 

Mr. O'Malley arrived around 1 p.m. Friday and David and I took him to David's favorite restaurant-- Moonlight, in Fosterburg-- for some fried chicken and the house salad that makes it famous around here.

After that, we headed into the city for the game, which we watched from my Pujols Pack seats, in section 447. It was my last game in those seats, behind that black railing you have to look over or under. :(



Adam Wainwright pitched against Carlos Zambrano. Waino looked rocky at first, but basically kept the pace with "Chucky Z" as Brian calls him.

Blasphemy. (see above)

Anyway, the Cards ended up losing 5-3, but not before hitting back to back home runs off Ryan "Dumpster," the Cubs' closer. Oh yeah, did I mention their best player was Jason Isringhausen? Grrr he made me mad. But I was a good loser. I did get my Rick Ankiel shirt (sexy No. 24), so I guess we accomplished something. 

After the game we came home and talked Harry Potter, a recurring theme over the weekend. (By recurring, I mean every 10 minutes or so.) When David got off work at 2, he came over and the subject veered toward sports and Mike Shannon and his dumb quips. Good times. 

The next day, Brian and I headed to the St. Louis Zoo (with the Cubs v. Cards game on the radio, which the Cards lost, again. The good news is, we heard a Shannonism. Something about bringing the bacon...) We rode some Dinosaur simulator, which was a gas, and I took a sweet video of some sort of chimp playing on a fake vine. We were standing next to a bear when some dude told us to find the exit. Apparently the zoo closes at 5... I don't go there often enough to know that already. 

Next, we planned to head downtown to eat and watch the game at JBuck's, only 365 steps from Busch Stadium (or whatever). And on our way there, we planned to ask a scalper how much for a ticket to the second game of the day's doubleheader, just for fun. 

The way there was hell. The balloon race was going on and there were cars EVERYWHERE. Police blocked the highway I needed so I got to Delmar, the quickest way open I knew how to get downtown. 

Who's thirsty?


Need to get somewhere fast?


When we finally got downtown, we got money from an ATM just in case we could get tickets, but every scalper we saw was already talking to someone. So we stopped in front of the ticket windows, where I told Brian to ask if there were any tickets left-- standing room only, whatever-- I mean, what could it hurt?

Good timing= two tickets had just gotten released. We bought them for $44 and saw our second Cards v. Cubs game in a row. Joel Pineiro beat the Cubs' Sean Marshall for the Cardinals' win this time. 4-3. We were even, even if the Cubs and Cards themselves were not. (And they weren't/aren't.)

After the game, we picked up David and played Mario Party at Kevin and Abby's and then went back to David's and asked each other some trivia. I fell asleep so they figured it was time for us to leave. 

Look for an additional post about all the Harry Potter on my mind now...



No comments: