Thursday, September 18, 2008

Out with Prowler, back in with Billy!

My EIU alumni newsletter arrived in my e-mail today with fun news - Billy Panther is back!

While I was in school, we had Prowler (who dated back to 2002), but nobody loved him. Nobody felt "out with the old, in with the new" applied to the school's beloved mascot. Everyone missed Billy.

FUN FACT: According to this, Billy was never the official name of EIU's panther mascot, rather a name created by fans.

Even though he was a bit before my time, I knew of Billy from Old Main Vein: the EIU Hall of Fame blog, where he made fun of Tony Romo on an almost constant basis. Unfortunately, the site went down in January of 2007 (or sometime around then). "Billy" still has a MySpace, though it appears that he stopped updating that when he stopped blogging.

Regardless, I'm glad to see EIU fans like me are getting what they want.
More Billy.

No comments: