Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inspection wasn't TOO bad but I'm worried

In order to get the house, I need the $3,000 Alton grant that helps pay for inspections, down payment, etc. In order to get the grant, the Western house has to pass an inspection.

We did that inspection today and some things looked good: the furnace is new; the water heater is new; the floors are solid, etc.

But the house did have some minor wiring problems and needs work on or replacement of all the windows in the house. There are 11-plus windows. The inspector said the seller can scrape the windows and re-glaze them, whatever that means, or he can replace them. As I understand it, he can go the glaze route for a decent price and fix the minor wiring issues in the basement, and then the house would be good to go.

I also understand that he can say no and choose not to fix those things. He should fix the wiring, because it won't pass the city's inspection if he doesn't and that would be an issue for any prospective buyers. But the windows, I'm pretty sure, aren't a problem for another buyer who doesn't need the $3,000 grant and would be willing to fix them themselves. I can't help where I stand on that issue.

I called my realtor, who called the inspector, and was supposed to call the seller's realtor to see if this seller might be willing to do the work and go through with our deal. I'm crossing my fingers and praying to God, but at this point I'm worried we might lose the house. It sucks being at work because I certainly can't concentrate on work right now. I could really use some moral support right now. It doesn't help that I'm incredibly impatient.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Good luck with everything... the whole inspection process is frustrating. Our inspection found some minor issues, but the sale still went through OK.