Thursday, October 11, 2007

The shit on Last.fm

I inivited all you people to join me on this music/social networking Web site that can easily be described as a MySpace for music. 

'But MySpace already HAS music! And so does Facebook!'
SHUT your mouth, you don't know what you're talking about. 

Last.fm is for people interested in finding others who have similar interests in sound, or for those who want to broaden their horizons a little. 

Some of the features I enjoy:
My profile. This area says a little about me, but it says more about what I like in music. It lists all the recent tracks I've listened to, artists I've been listening to the most lately, and it even has cute little album artwork. Lately, I've been listening to Radiohead more than most, to try and soak in "In Rainbows." The cool thing is, the program you download lets you sync with iTunes and Windows Media Player so it adds music that you listen to in those programs as well as the ones you hear on the site. I've also been listening to the Flaming Lips, but the site doesn't track my iPod so it doesn't know that. 
Journal. Yeah, right, like I NEED another blog. I might use it to casually keep track of new artists I've found tho. We'll see, as I futher explore.
Friends. Not like your average friends on social networking Web sites... I'm looking at David's profile now. I can stalk him (music wise) and find out what he's been listening to and when. It also rates your compatibility with friends-- whose tastes are similar to yours. David and I are a good match it turns out. Probably all the Radiohead.
Recommendations. I don't really know if I like this part yet. The truth is, I haven't listened to enough tracks to get any recommendations. But the idea is a great one. Like Netflix, the movie rental Web site that takes ratings I have given movies and suggests others I'd like, Last.fm takes songs I've "loved" and listened to and tries to turn me on to new music. 

I'm excited to see what I can get from this site. Back to video uploading now. 
(As you can see, Brightcove software, which is what The Telegraph uses, is quite slow on the uptake. Literally.)

No comments: