Monday, October 8, 2007

Voxtrot - "Voxtrot" (2007)

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally decided to review a few CDs I have been turned on to by the boyfriend. Expect them to be posted slowly, few and probably far between.

Voxtrot - "Voxtrot" 
(May 2007)
********** (7.5 of 10)

I was originally drawn to download the CD after hearing the song "Rise Up In the Dirt," which David put on a compilation of music he was trying to get me to listen to. The upbeat song, featured on the band's five-track EP released in April 2006 called "Mothers, Sisters, Daughters & Wives," was instantly a favorite of mine, with a little bit of a 60s pop sound. 

I expected the same from this self-titled album, but unfortunately didn't hear anything that popped out at me the way "Rise Up In the Dirt" did. That being said, the album isn't bad, just not one of the best I've ever heard. I would recommend a listen, and am rating it at about a 7.5 of 10. 

Most of the songs seem to be more mellow than I expected from my first glimpse of the band's stuff. 

The first single that was released off the album, "Blood Red Blood" warranted a 4 out of 5 on my rating scale. It's a song I'd probably like a bit more if I gave it a closer listen, but again, nothing really pops just yet about it. 

Other songs of note on the album include "Future Part 1," "Ghost," "Every Day" and "Real Life Version."

"Ghost" has a slow melody, and is a soothing listen, as is "Future Part 1," which starts out with a melody that surprisingly reminds me of the basic melody to "Dancing in the Moonlight." 

"Every Day" is a charming love song, and the only one on the album to warrant my 5 out of 5 rating, with "Real Life Version" following close behind. Speaking of, if you enjoyed the song "In the Deep" (by Bird York) from the Crash Soundtrack (2004), you'll notice that the chorus "a real life version of yoooouuu" sounds a lot like "in the deeeeeeeeeep."

Many of the tunes are saturated in piano, which I love, and I somewhat agree with spin.com's observation that some of the beats seem very Strokes-ish. However, I don't think I like the two groups for the same reason, so while I can see the comparison, I don't think put or encourage anyone else to put too much stock in it.

Check out the indie pop rock band, straight out of Austin, TX, on www.voxtrot.net

No comments: